A new beginning in computational geometry

It has certainly been a while since the last post was published on this blog.

At the beginning of year 2019, I somehow started to reflect on my career, where I was, and where I wanted to go in my journey. At the end of 2019, I decided to look for new opportunities, after spending more than 4 years doing software development in bioinformatics at Gydle.

I was mainly looking for a new job where the computational aspect that I liked would still be a thing. I wanted also a sizable team, in order to be in an environment with social interactions. I wanted a workplace that values great software development tools and best practices. Finally, I wanted something that was not totally disconnected from what I did so far in life. That thing I did so far in life is the frontier between biology and computer science.

On 13 January 2020, I started to work for Bodycad. Bodycad aims at "The Pursuit of Orthopaedic Perfection". In a nut shell, Bodycad designs and manufactures personalized patient-specific implants for Personalized Restorations™. It is part of what is called personalized medicine and precision medicine. Bodycad Founder and President is Jean Robichaud.

So, where do I fit in all of this ?

At Bodycad, I work in the Software Development department, which is headed by Vice-President Marc Bédard. The department has several teams. I am a member of the team CAD-core.

I work mainly on computational geometry aspects. Other aspects, like computer graphics, user interface, actual domain-specific parts and other important components, are handled by other teams.

So, I know well computational biology, where objects are the usual suspects: sequences of letters. But in computational geometry, objects are points, lines, vectors, matrices, faces, planes, volumes, and so on.

A long time ago, I completed a linear algebra and vectorial geometry course. I have the book Algèbre linéaire et géométrie vectorielle, 4e édition. And also I still have my book OpenGL superbible 3rd edition from back then (around 2005). Since I began at Bodycad, I started reading the book Computational Geometry - Algorithms and Applications too.

A great resource that I think is very useful is the series Essence of linear algebra by 3Blue1Brown on YouTube. I highly recommend it. This learning resource is very visual.

Another cool place to learn geometry is Geometry, Surfaces, Curves, Polyhedra written by Paul Bourke.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 2022 Calisthenics split routine

Adding ZVOL VIRTIO disks to a guest running on a host with the FreeBSD BHYVE hypervisor

Le tissu adipeux brun, la thermogénèse, et les bains froids